Moosic🎵

My experiments with water


It was a fine sunny day and I was just immersed in my iPad in which I was playing a battle of Fortnite. It was so addictive. Only a few days ago we landed in the Cochin international airport from Doha and I was really tired after that big trip so I did not want to go out and play football/cricket in the mud. Whereas my parents on day one started cleaning and doing things which might have helped our grandad and granny. I was alone in the house as everyone was involved in doing something or the other. My grandparent had to leave for Kozhikode to attend someone's marriage since in Kerala we usually have a tradition of going to the house a few days before the marriage and stay in the house of the person getting married. Their flight tickets were booked and scheduled to depart next morning . We decided that we would go there by train since i liked to travel on the train.



I helped with packing a few clothes for my grandparents and wished them a safe journey. After they left I had literally nothing to do so I went in front of the boring TV. (Now u curious readers might be thinking, why is the TV boring???). THE TV HAD ONLY NEWS CHANNELS where they talked boring stuff all the time about "Hartals" or Modi or Rahul Gandhi. I went and switched it on and it opened with a piercing white light which almost blinded me. That when I see one lady who has no sense fashion wearing formals in a beach and discussing on some plastic thing found on the shore. Then she said that the news was going to have a short break and they would be right back. But this short break felt like a 2 and half hour of a Rajinikanth movie. Now there was an announcement from another lady who was nearby the Idukki dam by saying it was getting filled and it really close to the dangerous level. I started wondering why ladies where more than men only in journalism.

I went out for a quick walk to get a jolly rancher from the nearby shop. That's when I noticed a fight between two people. Overhearing their fight i realized that they were neighbour's and one wasnt able to return the full loan that he borrowed. It may have been a few 100 rupees but this had irritated him. This fight was not very big but was able to bring out phones from every one pocket. God might have seen this so started sending cool raindrop to cool down this silly fire. Then it started to become even colder RAIN started pouring down heavily. The rain didn't stop until the next morning. Some areas were flooded with water and some weren't.



My dad has a habit to turn on the TV every day in the morning and place the old boring news. He leaves it on even when he goes to the supermarket to buy food. Today the news was interesting. He turns on the Malayalam new channels during the period we're in Kerala just to show my grandparents and neighbour’s that he still understands Malayalam. I bet that half of the time he thinks why is the news reporter speaking Japanese. Today news went like "à´ª്à´°à´§ാനപ്à´ªെà´Ÿ്à´Ÿ à´µാർത്തകൾ!

ഇടുà´•്à´•ി അണക്à´•െà´Ÿ്à´Ÿിà´²െ ജലനിà´°à´ª്à´ª് അപകടകരമാà´¯ à´¨ിലയിà´²ാà´£്.

à´°ാà´¹ുൽ à´—ാà´¨്à´§ി à´¬ാà´¤്à´±ൂà´®ിà´²േà´•്à´•് à´ªോà´¯ി. à´®ോà´¡ി à´•ൊà´±ിയയിൽ à´ªോà´¯ി à´ª്à´°à´§ാനമന്à´¤്à´°ിà´¯ോà´Ÿ് à´¹ാà´¯് പറഞ്à´žു" the importance of such a serious issue of Idukki dam was on par with the seriousness of Rahul Gandhi sh*tting in the toilet. Wow!



Later that day my dad, as usual, was lazy a brought a lot of stuff from the supermarket so he doesn't need to go again for like one month. So, only a few veggies and so much bread and pickles. At least he makes my life easy since I don't need to eat vegetables at all. We were getting ready to leave for the day after tomorrow trip to the marriage in Kozhikode. I was busy packing and I was so tired that I slept off with my head in the luggage and my body half in bed and the rest on the ground. I meant tired by playing Fortnite of course. That's the night everything changed. I was woken up by my dad and was asked to finish my packing since we wouldn't have time tomorrow. I was irritated since he had woken me up for such a silly thing. Going to the hall to take my iPad i noticed that it was flooding outside. I told my parents and we thought it would seep into the drains as usual but oh boy we were wrong.



The next morning we had expected the road to be cleared out. When we woke up to check we were greeted with a surprise.

The bedroom floor was wet. My Mom and Dad was looking out of the window like their eyes were going to pop out as if they had never seen that old rusty window. "NOW THIS CAN GET WORSE PEOPLE WE ARE GOING TO KOZHIKODE TODAY" my dad shouted in the top of his voice. In about one hour, when we were going to leave the flood had worsened.

Nobody had any idea it was going to be this bad. We also heard that train stations had been stopped. The water was swiftly increasing its height. We got back in the house. Our house was in a raised portion of land so it wasn't greatly affected by the flood compared to our few other neighbours. People from the low leveled area were trying to swim towards this side but due to the current, they weren’t able to. Since my dad is a super-genius, he threw a rope to the other side while tying the other side on a tree and told them to do the same. They were instructed to use the rope as safety to cross to our side. Surprisingly the neighbours who had been fighting between themselves forgot about everything and together helped a random old lady who wanted to reach to the other side.



The people started using our house as if it was their house. I wasn’t feeling very comfortable when the people were eating up all the bread and jam my dad had cleverly brought before the flood. The water started to seep more and when it reached above my knees we went to the second floor. The people slept in the ground and the old lady slept on the mattress. I was not getting any sleep other than a lot of mosquito bites. I prayed to god, “The Flood has brought me enough hassle please can you move these mosquitoes away”. Not since my birth, I had seen a flood like this and Not since the Great Flood of 1924 has Kerala seen such a natural disaster. It was the Second Day and all the food was. There was so much water around us but not a single drop was there to drink. Some of the life lovers uploaded our location and asked for an immediate rescue. Nothing much happened, we all talked and talked even though we were damn hungry. The third day went on without food and I was just restless so I went up to the terrace and I found some coconuts fallen from the nearby coconut tree. I kept two of them aside and gave the rest of them to the refugees. I called my parents to eat the tender coconut with me since we all should take care of ourselves and our family before others. At day four we received some food from the relief services but no one was rescued by them. Later that day few motor boats came to our house but it wasn’t the navy it was the fishermen who rescued us. Those fishermen took us to a nearby camp where food, clothes, towels, and medicine box were given for our 2-week tenure there. In this time the water level was going down and we had made a few lifelong friends here. We heard that the airport was going to begin operation soon.

My dad took his phone and booked the next available flight to Kozhikode. The flight had been scheduled on August 29. We had boarded the boat, which was on the way to the Airport since there was a camp nearby there too. Stayed inside the airport for a few hours.



We had a few dresses which we got from the camp. Finally we took off at 1:00 pm 29 August having a delay of one hour. Landed in Kozhikode airport and continued in the rest of the journey to the house of a relative. We had been so lucky to be alive and be a part of this wonderful adventure.



PS - Recreated from stories from my teachers and family friends.



 

Popular Posts

Job Pls